Monday, April 25, 2011

Quarantine

I've been under quarantine for the past two weeks and there is no end in sight. Why, you may ask? Answer: a recent measles outbreak in SLC. My first doctor's appointment was at nine weeks and we had the routine blood test done at that time. The test results showed that I am no longer immune to the measles. I had the vaccine as a child but apparently it either didn't take or it has worn off over time. I really had no idea this was even possible or I would have been tested prior to getting pregnant. In any event, I brushed it off because I said to myself, "It's the measles. They've practically been eradicated in the States. I don't have anything to worry about." Fast forward to two weeks ago when we started to hear reports on the news about three high school students that had contracted the measles. I believe we are now up to nine cases. And each new confirmed case puts my quarantine period out by two weeks. That's because the measles has an incubation period of two weeks i.e. someone may appear to be perfectly fine for two weeks after being exposed and they are really a walking hazard to me. I can't get the vaccine again until after I deliver the baby. I've been told that at this point, I'm far enough along that if I did get the measles it wouldn't necessarily cause birth defects. But it could result in a miscarriage, still-birth or any number of other problems that I don't even want to think about.

What does all this mean? It means that I can't go to the gym or church or anywhere else where large groups of people will be around me in tight quarters. If I must go out to the grocery store or anywhere else, I should wear a mask. My hands are raw from washing them so often. I definitely feel like a freak show. The kids are the best. They aren't shy about pointing to the crazy lady (a.k.a. me) and asking their moms why I'm wearing a mask. The standard answer I hear: "It's because she's sick and doesn't want to get anyone else sick." No!! It's because I don't want you people to get me sick. Sheesh! But to be fair, I'd probably think the same thing if I was in their shoes. And so we wait. And wait. And wait for news about the next confirmed case. Thank goodness I don't have to go anywhere to get to work. And Cory is properly fumigated when he comes home every day...

And speaking of feeling like a freak show, because of the measles outbreak, I've finally had to break down and start telling people that we are expecting a baby. I had to explain it to some people at church and of course, I've had to explain it to the people who have been nosy enough to ask why I'm wearing a mask. And I must say that I am absolutely appalled by the standard reaction that I get. The first thing (and I mean the VERY first thing) people do is look at my stomach to check out the baby bump. Have I ever done that to someone?? I'm sure I have and I'm totally embarrassed. I will certainly make a concerted effort not to do it again. Maintain eye contact, people!!! If you must check out the baby bump, do it when I'm not looking. It's bad enough that you feel frumpy and fat for nine months but it's quite another thing to have everyone else fixated on your fatness too. Oh well. Have I mentioned that I'm a walking freak show??

The current dilemma for baby purchases is the crib (and other bedroom furniture). I went into Babies 'R Us two weeks ago to start browsing. After spending an hour looking at furniture, bedding and glider rockers, my brain was fried. I half-heartedly walked through the clothing section as I left the store but I ended up not buying anything. My head hurt too bad to think about what size of clothes I needed to buy for when Baby J is going to be X months old (i.e. long sleeve shirts or short sleeve, and how do you really know because he might be a super chunky baby and not fit into any of those 6-12 month clothes that I want to buy for next summer).

That same afternoon, Cory went to Cabela's. And brought home this:
Daddy purchased Baby J's first item of clothing. And it just so happens to be a fleece, camo snow suit. Cory says it's for bear hunting. Looks pretty warm and snuggly to me.

4 comments:

  1. Classic!

    We didn't get our crib ordered until a week after we were home from the hospital. So good luck deciding - we hated making the furniture decisions...

    Good luck with the measles too. I haven't heard of this outbreak, but you can never be too careful. Maybe you can wear decorative masks or write ironic phrases on your mask... I think I saw a website selling custom masks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this measles thing passes soon! Pregnancy brings out weird things in people! Like why all of the sudden is it okay for some outside person to touch, rub and talk to your belly when they wouldnt do it otherwise? Weird!
    Love the camo, guess that means Cory will be getting lots of Dad time in so you can finally enjoy some freedom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't touch the bump, but I am guilty of checking it out when someone tells me they're pregnant. I checked yours out when we went to dinner....and there wasn't one, but I hope I didn't offend you. I think they're cute....when it's not mine ;) Sorry about the quarantine...that doesn't sound like any fun at all. I hope it passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally stressed out about all that stuff too and now I wonder why. :o) You can wait until baby gets here to buy clothes...the baby stores always have big sales on clothing -- even stuff that's in season. Or buy things now that can be layered if need be. Those summer shirts look super cute over long-sleeved onesies!

    We ended up going with Munire funiture and a swivel rocker/recliner from Best Chair. We've been very happy with them.

    Just take it a little bit at a time!

    ReplyDelete