Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ready Or Not!

After two weeks of bed rest (which I didn't really do a very good job of), I went back to the doctor and there was no change in my cervix. He took me off bed rest just in time to allow me to go to Bear Lake with both the Johnson and Hollingsworth families. Both families wanted to have a family outing this year, both families wanted to go to Bear Lake and both families wanted to go on the same weekend. So we smooshed it all together and had a great time! I was so relieved to be able to go. I felt like I hadn't had any fun all summer and I desperately needed a get-away. If at all possible, I don't think we'll be doing another summer pregnancy. If I've got to be cooped up inside, it might as well be during the winter when you can't do anything here anyway.

The big kids are making a sand castle.

Gracie and Cory testing out the water.

Putting the finishing touches on the mermaid tail.

The Johnson girls made the trek down to Salt Lake to throw me a baby shower. It was so nice of them all to come down here to me! We watched "The Help", had great Thai food and Baby J got spoiled rotten. Thank you so much!!

I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and I knew my doctor wasn't going to be happy with my blood pressure. I've been taking blood pressure medicine since we were 20 weeks along. No signs of preeclampsia - just high blood pressure. I've been checking my blood pressure every night before going to bed and since last Wednesday, the readings have been climbing. I told Cory that it wouldn't surprise me if Dr. Langer sent us straight to L&D after our appointment on Wednesday. We even had our bags packed and everything. I ran like a mad woman on Wednesday morning trying to finish stuff at work, get several loads of laundry done, etc. By the time I got to the doctor's office, my blood pressure was 158/110.

Dr. Langer sent us down to the ultrasound tech to do a growth check. They think Baby J weighs 6 lbs. 14 oz and my fluid levels look good. The doctor said he could stay in there for a few more days until we officially reach full term. We are 37 weeks tomorrow and we are scheduled to be induced at 7:30 a.m.

Wow! The past three days have been a whirlwind. We've crammed what we should have done in three weeks into three days. Surprisingly, my blood pressure has dropped over the past three days. I must confess that it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they sent us home tomorrow and we didn't have to deliver. I've been slamming on the brakes harder and harder the closer we get to the delivery date. I'm not sure if I want kids after all. I'm still at the point where I'm saying, "it would be nice to have kids someday." I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up my life starting tomorrow.

Cory made a very nice dinner reservation last night and I almost cried thinking this is the last time we'll be able to do this without having to worry about a baby sitter and the house burning down while we're gone. I ran some errands today and cranked up my music. Might as well enjoy that for the last time, too. I really hope it's worth it. I really hope that when parents say, "it's the best thing you'll ever do," that that's not just some standard rhetoric that they tell themselves in order to get through the daily grind. I hope I bond with this baby. I hope it truly is a magical moment to hear him cry for the first time. I hope we don't suck as parents. Let's hope we don't screw you up too badly, kiddo. See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and hope everything goes well today. Congratulations!!! Having Maylin has been one of the best decisions of my life. I can't imagine life without her. I'm sure you will feel the same with your new little one. It's definitely not easy and does change your life, but it is well worth the joy that will flow into your life with this new blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got in one last pre-baby post! I felt the same way before I had Keaton. It does completely change your life, but I promise it's worth it. Find a couple to trade off babysitting with and it'll be much easier. Love you!!! Be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times at Bear Lake! It's a scary step (or leap?). You're going to be a great mom. You're great with my kids and do 110% in all other areas of life, I know it will transfer over into your own success as a parent. The magic will come sooner or later and you'll still get to listen to your music --at least for a little while ;) With all the family you two have I bet you can even pull off a weekend or two away. We can't wait to babysit! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know he's here now, so you already know that having a baby is probably one of the best things you could do. I'm sure you have already bonded with Max and you know how special he is. I can't wait to meet him and by the way, I have no doubt in my mind that you two WON'T suck as parents! You'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my dear Marisa..i remember think the exact things that you thought! It made me smile today thinking of that exact situation! I can't wait to see you holding and loving Max! I hope your first week has been a great one!
    Jaron keeps saying we need to go see Marisa and Max..i think he is a little excited to be a REAL Uncle to his own little nephew! we are hoping to come and see your cutie little family soon! until then lots of love sent your way!

    ReplyDelete