Monday, September 3, 2012

Max Is One!

We had these photos taken on Max's 1st birthday.  He was so good for the photo shoot…except for when we brought out the cupcake.  He wanted to tip it over and pick off the giant sprinkles but he had no interest in actually smashing it.  I stuck his fingers in the cake and he was not happy with me.  This kid does not like to get his fingers dirty!!










We spent the weekend before Max's birthday camping at Bear Lake.  It wasn't the ideal setting to decorate for a birthday party but I gave it my best shot.  

 Cat in the Hat birthday cake (thank you Smith's bakery).


We had Swedish fish and Goldfish crackers (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish).


Thank you Pinterest for the water bottle idea (packing tape on both sides so the paper doesn't get soggy).


Welcome to the Dr. Seuss birthday party in our RV!


So grateful for family who made the day special for Max!!  Cory smoked ribs for dinner and we ate in style!




Birthday banner - pictures of Max from birth to now.




My attempt at "Horton Hears a Who".



My sister-in-law, Ashlee, designed these amazing birthday party invites for Max.  Thank you, Ash!!!


Swimming in Bear Lake with Gracie.  Max was so enthralled with Gracie - his face lit up every time she came around.  And I was so impressed with how patient she was with him.  I figured she would get bored since he can't interact too much but she was so good to stick around and entertain Max.  Love you, Gracie!


Max loves his 'hip and happenin' aunts!!


We took Max off of his heart medication on his birthday and so far, he has stayed out of SVT.  Since there is no way to visibly see the spot in his heart that caused the trouble (without invasive techniques), we just have to wait and see what happens.  I cannot even begin to tell you how nice it is to let him set his own schedule.

This is our before:

5:00 a.m.: Wake up and give medicine and a bottle.
6:00 a.m.: Back to sleep
9:00 a.m.: Wake up
11:00 a.m.: Must make sure Max is down for a nap so that he can be awake again at 1:00 p.m. for another does of medicine.
1:00 p.m.: Give medicine and lunch
3:15 p.m.: Make sure Max is down for another nap so we're on track to give the last dose of medicine at 9:00 p.m.
6:00 p.m.: Wake up and have dinner
8:15 - 9:00 p.m.: Fight a cranky baby who is ready for bed but who must stay awake until 9:00 for his last medicine dose
9:00 p.m.: Last dose of medicine and sleepy time
10:00 p.m.: Cory and I fall into bed.

Now:
WHATEVER WE WANT!!!!!!!  Cory and I have watched two movies since we took Max off of his medicine.  We obviously could have stayed up late and watched a movie before but there was no movie worth staying up that late to watch when I knew that 5:00 a.m. was just around the corner…EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!!!!!  I've read one book since Max was born.  I intend to pick that up again, too.  I am so thankful for the strength and mental capacity to make it through this last year without going crazy.  And I'm so glad it's over!

Max had his 12 month check-up last week.  He weighs 19 lbs and is 28 inches long (4th percentile in both categories).  Max took his first steps just three days after his birthday.  He gets so mad when he can't get to where he wants to go.  Guess you should have learned to crawl, kiddo.  :-)  He has four teeth now (top and bottom from teeth).  He is starting to mimic (or try to) our words and sounds.  I'm starting to see why people say that having a baby is fun.  I am definitely liking this stage much more than the baby stage!  Maybe ask me again in a couple of weeks when we have a full-fledged toddler who is ripping apart the house...

3 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! You made it!!!!! In my opinion, the second year is so much better than the first. Everyone tells you that walking is a bad thing, but I think it's great. Happy Birthday, Max!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics, the cupcake one is darling! His b-day party was so fun and well decorated--even for an rv. You're setting a high bar here ;) So glad you're getting part of your life back now that the medicine is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I can't believe he's walking!! Can't wait to see that.

    ReplyDelete