Sunday, October 24, 2010

Boston!

As usual, I'm about a month behind. In September, I went on a business trip to Providence, RI. It's easier to fly in and out of Boston and then drive to RI. My colleagues and I had some free time for a team-building activity. My boss is from Boston so we asked him to give us a tour of his town. I have always wanted to go to Boston (in fact, Cory and I almost booked a trip there last year), and I was pretty excited to see all of the historical sites. We stopped in Concord first. We had the opportunity to see Ralph Waldo Emerson's house (this is the boat house), which was later lived in by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
And of course, you can't stop in Concord and not visit the site where "the shot heard round the world" is located. The writing underneath this farmer says, "By the rude bridge that arched the flood, their flag to April's breeze unfurled, here once the embattled farmers stood, and fired the shot heard round the world." How amazing that a bunch of farmers stood up to the mighty British army (and won!). What great sacrifices our forefathers made for us. Where is that same patriotism now when we need it most??
In order to maximize our time and see as many historical sites as possible, we took a duck tour. Our "duck" was Fenway Fanny. And our driver was a hoot!

Here we are cruising at a whopping five knots. The captain had her at full throttle! :)


We zoomed past Cheers. Which was okay by me - I've heard that going inside is highly overrated.
Al (my boss) knew about a great seafood place to have dinner. I had the best clam chowder ever! Here are my colleagues: Al, Donna (with her superstar glasses on at night), Carole and Joyce. I can't wait to go back someday and spend some more time exploring this wonderful city.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you got to sight-see on this trip. The best trips are when the locals show you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to boston! Never been there. Glad to know the duck tour is recommended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be the year for Boston! Glad you were able to see some of the sights!

    ReplyDelete