Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Phenomenon That Is Church Basketball

It's that time of year again. That's right - time for church basketball. Cory has been playing on our ward's team with the guys and I have been attending the games as head cheerleader. And I've decided that I just don't get it. These guys almost kill themselves every single game and yet they still seem to love it. For example, most of these guys are so out of shape that they turn every shade of red/purple imaginable while they are running up and down the court - it makes me worry that they are going to expire at any minute. One guy plays with a knee brace on. I asked him how bad his injury was and he said that he doesn't have any cartilage in his knee and that when he runs he can feel bone rubbing on bone. What?!?! And you still come back for more each week?? And for a church ballgame (think "love one another"), it can get quite violent / emotional. I've witnessed two near tackles and one pile-up on the court that resulted in one guy hyper-extending his knee as he went down. Can someone please explain to me why this is fun for men??? Clearly I need to be enlightened.

3 comments:

  1. Marisa, I can't explain it, but let me know if you find out. Clint is pretty big into the church ball scene too. (He's one of those guys who is turning all colors of red and purple out there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that t-shirt that says "Church Basketball - The Brawl That Ends with a Prayer" ??? That's an apt description of my experience with Church basketall. I'm with you. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, I'm completely clueless too. I hate church sports...of any kind.

    ReplyDelete