Sunday, February 1, 2009

Christmas in January (and birthdays too)

This weekend we went to my brother and SIL's house in Afton, Wyoming, for a family get-together. We didn't get to see my Uncle Dean on Christmas day because he got snowed in, so we finished opening Christmas presents with him. And we needed to have a birthday celebration for my mom, Dean and Cory (they all had recent birthdays).

We had pizza and cheese bread for lunch and my SIL made the most amazing banana cream pies! Oh baby!! Could my pants hate me any more??

My brother works as a diesel mechanic at the Simplot mine in Afton. Translation: he gets to work on some huge trucks / mining equipment and he absolutely loves it. He took us on a mine tour after lunch. We had to watch a safety video and put on safety glasses and hard hats. I've decided that it's impossible to look good in a hard hat, but we sure tried hard!

Just to give you an idea of how big these trucks are, note that we aren't even half as tall as the tires. I'm told that one tire costs $8,000. Sheesh!


We all watched in awe as this giant "shovel" scooped up ore and dumped it into the dump truck. Only four scoops and the truck was full! Thanks to Jaron and Karen for being great hosts! We had a wonderful day!

6 comments:

  1. And just when I was about to protest your lack of posting pictures of you in a hard hat, you came through in the end...and pulled it off quite nicely. As usual, you make something absurd look adorable. How I love bog stalking you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I think you all look pretty good in those hard hats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that is where Kyle and I grew up. Who do you know in Star Valley?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I ever told you how much I heart gigantic vehicles? I really envy you right now. If I had been there, I would have been jumping up and down clapping my hands like a 5 year old after seeing that huge shovel truck moved and worked. It's weird, I know...but true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your posts!!! Did you ever think 18-wheelers and mining equipment would be your future? :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marisa, I loved seeing your latest post. What a great way to keep the Christmas spirit lingering - hold the presents for a month or two. It was good to see pics of you and your family. Haven't seen Dean for a really long time. I bet Jaron is in Truck Heaven every day he goes to work. Yeah for him. We love the Hard Hat look. One adventure after another!

    ReplyDelete