Monday, February 23, 2009

Skid Row

Cory is a big fan of what he fondly calls "butt rock". I'm a fan of the old-school butt rock, but not so much the new stuff. Clearly I'm in desperate need of something (anything!!!) to do here in Idaho Falls because when Cory asked me if I wanted to go to the Skid Row concert last week...I agreed. Oh my. Mostly, I laughed the entire time I was there. Let me set the stage for you. The concert was held in the "Old Ernst Building" i.e. it used to be a grocery store. It even still has the island in the center where the cash register used to be. This was the first-ever music concert held in the building. I wouldn't recommend that they have any more. L.A Guns was the opening act. I think I may have actually understood 20 words from all of their songs. They did let everyone know that they like to have their picture taken and they graciously stood at the back of the room for photo-ops while Skid Row was on stage. I don't think anyone went to see them. Cory, Jared and Scott were good sports about posing for me while I tried to take some pictures - it was a great people-watching experience.
I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but this is a picture of the crowd holding up their lighters. Yes, their lighters. The lead singer was prepping the crowd for a song and mentioned that "back in the day", people used to hold up lighters when they played this particular song. But nowadays, most people hold up their cell phones. The Idahoans in the crowd were seriously offended by the notion of holding up a cell phone. So they all whipped out their lighters. And the band was dumb-founded. Me too.



We saw a wide variety of people - and even some kids. It was a good quality show for kids...

And I don't even know what to say about this one.
The lead singer took every opportunity he could get to opine about our economy today. Let me share with you a few of his thoughts.
Thought 1: I see some Motley Crue, Kiss and AC/DC shirts out there in the crowd. And that's what it's really all about. Some great bands coming together to make some great music. We are all one united nation of rock. There are some people out there who will try to tell you that rock 'n' roll is irrelevant. You can tell them to !*#$ &%^$!!
Thought 2: Friends who drink together, stay together.
Thought 3: In this economy, we all need friends and music. You are all our friends and we have the music.
Now don't you all feel enlightened?? And to wrap up a great evening, after the last song, everyone just left. No one even pretended to want an encore. Peace out, man.

3 comments:

  1. That was hilarious! I'm so glad that we didn't spend the money for tickets. Trent probably would've liked it, but that was before my time. I once went to a Credence concert at the E.I.S.F. and it was really boring because it was like all the old hippies came out of the woodwork. I swear they were doing shots of Metamucil and dropping Crestor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A concert in an old grocery store?! Wow! That's an experience you won't soon forget huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisa, I can honestly say I was rendered speechless by this post. How often is it that I am completely stymied? Well done.

    ReplyDelete