Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July

I hope everyone had a great Independence Day! We spent part of the day riding around in the mountains of Wyoming.

Cory insisted that it was our civic duty to pull fallen trees out of the path i.e. he just wanted to use the winch (we could have easily gone around the trees). Below, Cory asked if he could take a picture of both of his winches. Now that's true love.

My family joined us at our campsite on Friday night. Right before they arrived, it rained for about an hour. The campsite was down a little hill off of the main road. My dad pulled the boat up because we were planning on going boating on Saturday. As soon as he pulled off of the road into the campsite he knew he had made a mistake. The ground was soggy and he got stuck. Cory hooked up the tow strap and hit the gas. Both of those diesel engines were roaring, black smoke was billowing everywhere and mud was flying like crazy. My dad didn't get his window rolled up fast enough before Cory hit the gas, so the inside of his truck was full of mud too. I tried to get my camera out in time to film the whole event, but I was too slow.

After the rain storm, the firewood was kind of soggy. Cory messed with it for a while and then he decided to get down to business and pour some gasoline over the wood. Voila! Instant campfire.

This is my mom peeling potatoes for dinner. They were fabulous! There's nothing like cooking in the great outdoors. Everything just tastes better. We stayed up late roasting marshmallows and playing card games. My dad found an old piece of wood that was actually an ant hill. He threw it on the fire and the ants scattered everywhere. Cory took care of them with gasoline too...

We did get to go boating for a little while on Saturday. Everyone needs to have a mug that is the size of their head.

Cory took a little nap on the nose of the boat - notice the Mountain Dew bottle that is subbing for a pillow. You'll also notice those dark rain clouds in the background. We didn't get to enjoy the sunshine for very long.



And we ended a great weekend with a great fireworks show in Idaho Falls. Afterwards we soaked in the hot tub with the Morton's. Ahhh!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a pretty fun 4th! You're right, everything does taste better in the mountains. I love dutch oven! I might need to be investing in a mug the size of my head if everyone needs one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of fun. I have decided that we need to take our kids camping this summer. We haven't done that yet and your post is getting me geared up to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! Rob and I can't wait until it's cool enough here to go camping.

    ReplyDelete