Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Happy 80th, Grandpa Jones!

Grandpa Jones turned 80, and we decided to celebrate in style. After all, that's quite an accomplishment! We rented a cabin in Island Park and settled in for a weekend of fun. We enjoyed the great outdoors (I came home with three mosquito bites on my face and six on one ankle), floated down the river, rode 4-wheelers and took some family pictures.

We also drove over to Jackson Hole to listen to the Bar J Wranglers perform. Let me expound. The Bar J is a working cattle ranch. Every night (literally seven days a week) from May - September, they host a chuckwagon dinner for their guests. They serve up steaks, ribs, sliced beef and BBQ chicken, complete with dinner rolls made in a dutch oven. After dinner, some of the cowboys perform. The Bar J has between 75,000 - 85,000 guests per year. Someone made the comment that the Bar J singers are like The Wiggles for old people, but they really do put on a good show. Cory and I got to drive over to Jackson with Grandma and Grandpa Jones and we learned some neat things about their courtship and family history. Thanks to all who helped to plan a fun weekend!




4 comments:

  1. You are totally in my old territory. We have been up to the Bar J a couple of times. It is good food and fun. My brother knows the guy on the right real good. Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw the Bar J Wranglers the last time they were in Preston. It was pretty fun (except for the fact that I had a fussy 2 or 3 month old bouncing on my hip). We missed out on the big dinner though - we'll have to make sure we catch that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, I thought there were no such things as bugs up north and that people had no fear of camping and sitting in grass. It's like my dream place to live...I might have to rethink this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw the Bar J's in 2002....so much fun!

    You make me want to head back to Jackson Hole, one of my favorite places!

    ReplyDelete