Saturday, January 24, 2009

Date Night


Every once in awhile, my husband gets the urge to get out of the office and go hit the open road. So last night at 7:00, we piled into the 18-wheeler and headed for Boise via Burley. It was super foggy and we missed our turn in Burley. We tried to turn around in an empty lot but with all of the rain and warm temperatures, we soon found ourselves buried in mud. Cory did everything he could to get us out, but two hours later, and with him being covered from head to toe in mud, we finally had to call a tow truck. The tow truck arrived at 2:30 a.m. and I thought all of our troubles were over. But while the guys were outside rigging up the equipment to tow us out of the mud, I proceeded to lose my wedding ring inside the truck! I was sobbing hysterically and praying with all my might as I frantically ripped up the carpet in the truck, clawed through the ashtray and proceeded to stick my finger in every possible crack and crevice in that big rig. I even broke two fingernails! It was dark and I was cold and I really thought I was never going to see my ring again. But remarkably, I did find it! It was right next to the passenger-side door. If someone would have opened that door, the ring would have fallen into the mud and been lost forever.

After that, I sat back and watched in amazement as that tow truck plucked us right out of the quagmire that we were in. And then I stupidly thought our adventures were over. We left one mudflap and two ginormous holes behind and dropped our load off on time. And then instead of heading for Boise, we headed back home. It seems that a missing mudflap is a big deal with the DOT. At 5:00 a.m. we were both so tired, and the fog was starting to get thick again, that we found a truck stop and pulled over for a few hours of sleep. And woke up to four inches of snow!! Like Cory always says, "Go big or go home." I'm thinking that we will try dinner and a movie tonight. We can't get into too much trouble doing that, can we?

5 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I'm glad all is well with you both. I miss our little chats outside our houses, you on your breaks from work, and us hanging out with the kids.... good times! Glad to see you are up to many adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! There are few feelings worse than losing your weddiing ring. thank heavens you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How miserable! That will be a date night to remember. We need to see a muddy Cory picture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine how sick you must have felt losing your wedding ring! Don't worry, I would imagine that dinner and a movie would probably be a little safer than that whole trip, however, I'm sure you could probably find some danger there too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO glad that you found your ring! That story kind of makes our 31 hour non-stop trip from Idaho to Washington to Oregon and back to Idaho kind of boring!

    ReplyDelete