Sunday, August 9, 2009

That Famous Preston Night Rodeo

It's the last weekend in July, which, of course, means it's time for That Famous Preston Night Rodeo. The reason it's famous: because it was the first rodeo in the U.S. to be held at night with lights (or so I've been told). And it's really not all about the rodeo. EVERYONE comes home for rodeo. All of the high school class reunions are held at rodeo time and many family reunions happen then as well. It is so much fun to bump into people that I haven't seen in years. The Hollingsworth family has a few traditions for rodeo weekend. We always go to the lake on Saturday. The best part about the lake: the food. Notice that everyone is gathered around the food table...

There is a parade all three nights (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). We used to have to park a trailer at "our spot" at least one week before the rodeo so that we could make sure and have a place to watch the parade. But my cousin, Courtney, bought a house on the parade route so now we just gather in front of her house. Thanks, Court!!

I missed the "outhouse on a trailer" float, but I did catch this nice float with some deer on it...

Saturday is the best night to watch the parade. Why? Well, it's because the Cream of Weber truck comes and they hand out chocolate milk chugs. This year we scored a whole crate. Nice work, Laken!


It's tradition to go to the rodeo on Friday night. I think my family takes up about three rows in the bleachers. It's so nice to have everyone there! We had a great clown this year. I always came home for rodeo when I was living in Texas. No one there could understand why I would come to Idaho to see a rodeo when there was a rodeo every night of the week in Texas!

And we watched the PRCA cowgirls and cowboys show us their stuff. Here is a sample of the bronc riding and bull riding (yikes!). See you next year!







2 comments:

  1. I have been to that rodeo a couple of times and it is a really good one. We went to the parade on Friday night because my niece was in the royalty from SV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clint still hasn't ever been lucky enough to go to the Famous Preston Night Rodeo, so I can't convince him it really is as good as I claim!

    ReplyDelete